Monday, July 14, 2008

Another Day in SF: The Mission, The Castro, Twin Peaks and Golden Gate Park

Last Sunday I spent another day in San Francisco. I took my bike on BART and got off at 16th St. Mission Station. The Mission District takes its name from the oldest building in the city, Mission Dolores, built by the Spanish in the late 1700s. However, nowadays the adjoining basilica is far more impressive:

IMG_3367

The Mission is a lively and colorful neighborhood, well known for its hundreds of colorful murals, one of the most impressing ones being on the Women’s Building:

IMG_3350

However, probably the most peculiar fact about The Mission is that it is so ethnically diverse. Latinos dominate, but Chinese also abound and Italians are never far off either. And unlike in the other American districts I have already visited, here all these cultures are seamlessly integrated. This is quite strikingly illustrated in this picture—pay attention to the restaurant signs:

IMG_3352

Even the cars in the streets contribute to the unique atmosphere:

IMG_3379

Anyhow, after loitering about for a while in Dolores Park—where we had our 4th of July picnic—I moved on to the next district: The Castro. This district is the epicenter of SF’s sizable gay community, which you can tell from the color of some houses: ;-)

IMG_3393

After The Castro, I went on to climb the Twin Peaks, or at least one of them. I had already experienced that covering distances by bike in SF can be deceiving, as the maps in my guidebook do not show elevation contours. However, this climb still surprised me a little… It was really worth while though, as on top of the peaks you have an impressive view on the whole city:

IMG_3416

The straight road, clearly visible in the picture, is Market Street. It leads into the financial district with all the skyscrapers. Behind it is the Embarcadero. On the other side of the peak, I could just discern the Golden Gate in the distance:

IMG_3428

However, the typically San Franciscan fog—no smog thanks to the ever-present ocean breeze/wind/gale—makes it hard to see. After descending from the Twin Peaks, I continued towards the Golden Gate Park, SF’s largest, which is more than 5 km long. In the park, I visited the Conservatory of Flowers:

IMG_3444

This conservatory is home to thousands of exotic plants:

IMG_3454

and some butterflies:

IMG_3464

The park is not only huge, it is also perfectly maintained and has innumerable quiet, scenic spots with water and beautiful trees:

IMG_3479

I don’t know if you could get enough of it soon—I couldn’t…

IMG_3485

Having traversed the whole park from East to West, I finally arrived at Ocean Beach:

IMG_3494

There, I turned northwards where I still saw some stunning cliffs:

IMG_3501

and crossed the last district of the day, The Richmond, following Clement Street all the way back to the east. Here, I found out that there is actually a New Chinatown growing, with Clement Street as its hart. Considering that the old one is already the biggest in the World, that says something about the Chinese population here…

I returned to Berkeley, tired, hungry and a despite all sunscreen a little sunburned, but utterly satisfied and ready to tackle a new week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey little brother, I really enjoy reading your blog and must say the pictures are often stunning. I'm sure you bought yourself a hightech, brandnew, state-of-the-art, multi-focal-wide-angle lens camera. Or maybe the scenery is simple pretty photogenic and you're photografically gifted.
I can't help but feeling a tiny little sting of jealousy when I arrive at my desk every morning (rainsoaked, inuït-tanned and nearly blown away) and read about your exciting, surprising and nevertheless relaxing adventures. Moreover, the daily trainride (is that a word??) becomes pretty boring at times.
Oh well, in a few weeks you'll be back (to use the words of our other national pride living oversees) and we'll all be BBQ-ing in the rain again.
Have fun and keep us posted!

soeur collinebois (quelle trouvaille, n'est pas??)

PS: If any medical assistance is needed in the future, give me a call! Piercing toe-nails happens to be one of my specialties (To end with yet another popular Belgian quote)

Wim said...

So far, the pictures are taken with my simple point-and-shoot, but that is indeed about to change...

Anyhow, "I'll be back" was Arnie's quote (currently governor of this beautiful state), not Jean's... But then again, the other one is indeed totally Belgian. Or is it Flemish, by now?

Nicolas said...

What always impresses me in California is the sun: it always seems brighter there. Some people told me it was because the air coming from the Pacific Ocean was so clean...might be true...

Nice houses there! Don't hesitate to get acquainted with the locals, especially the ones with a swimming pool. We will be arriving shortly afterwards.

pater collisilvae said...

I think I have seen this butterfly picture some time ago in a National Geographic. Don't remember which issue though.

Wim said...

I must confess that it is not always sunny here; I just take a lot of pictures when it is. Anyhow, Nicolas, if you come to San Francisco, make sure to (put some flowers in your hair and) bring a wind-proof warm fleece: the firm ocean breezes make it really chilly from time to time... Or even better: don't bring one and buy it here for half the Belgian price!

And about the butterfly: the picture worked out pretty well indeed. Anyhow, wait until I get my digital SLR...

Anonymous said...

Hey nephew (and almost in law :)),
We just want to say hello. Your blog is wonderfull and we like it a lot.
Waiting on Eriks tomato sauce for the spaghetti, we thought you'd like to hear something from us.

Our days are easily filled. During the day I'm (Erik) working (Bai de voailkaaar)(there is no proper english word for our beloved antwaarpse vuilkar) and Margot is working in a supermarket (Delhaize). After work, we are studying as well as during weekends.

Now my sauce is ready, We have to say: see you (virtualy speeking) next time.

Greetings,

Erik & Margot

ellen said...

Hurray to the women's house!

I need a BART here as well!! All I have are taxistas that drive the most crappy cars ever. So far, one broke down in the middle of the road, one had the driving wheel on the english side, one had his passenger door always opening etc etc.
I was hoping for a trip to Laura Palmer's twin peaks, but I guess that's a little to the north from where you are
anyway, nice post

Wim said...

Ahaa, "de voilkaar" is a very convenient service here. The Californians like to recycle a lot. However, no need to sort out your garbage here: you just throw everything that even remotely looks like "recyclable" in a bin (paper, plastic, glass, PET-bottles, whatever!) and the homeless will pick it out of there even before the voilkaar arrives! I guess they return bottles etc. for money. Quite an effective system, I must admit...